The apartment building where Tanis Monday night it was found
The suspect of a deadly shooting on the tram in Utrecht is held. The 37-year-old Gökmen Tanis came repeatedly in contact with the court. Meanwhile, two other suspects were arrested. Their role is at the moment unclear.
After a long manhunt, the Dutch police Gökmen Tanis held, for his involvement in the deadly shooting at the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht Monday morning. It came to three people to life, and fell a further five people injured, three of whom seriously.
The confirmation of his arrest came about 18: 30. Tanis was arrested in the Oudenoord, in the district of Pijlsweerd. Questions about the arrest and wanted the police and Utrecht mayor Jan van Zanen not answer. However, at the press conference confirmed that the police in Turkey born Tanis on the track has come through his getaway car.
Several witnesses had the shooter around 10.45 opened fire on a tram afterwards see to get away in a red Renault Clio. Just before the shooting incident, according to police near a car gecarjackt that the description was sufficient. The car was at 12.40 hours found by the police in the Tichelaarslaan, about four kilometers away. Evidence led to the 37-year-old man, incidentally, is no stranger to justice.
Gökmen Tanis would, until recently, still in custody have been sitting, say sources at the NIS. Because he conditions had violated, he was six weeks.
According to the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad he was on 4 march for the court in Utrecht in connection with a verkrachtingszaak from 2017. RTV Utrecht reports that Tanis was also previously came into contact with the court: for attempted murder because he in december of 2013 with a firearm would have shot in the direction of a block of flats in Kanaleneiland, the same district where the shooting took place.
In addition, would his name also be associated with a series of smaller crimes, such as threat and insult of a woman, threat and insult from police, burglary, shoplifting, driving under the influence and urinating in a police cell. The offences took place between 2012 and 2017, it is unclear whether he was condemned.
At one of the homes was also another suspect held. He also is suspected of involvement in the events of today, had the police of Utrecht know. In the course of Monday night, a third suspect held, It is not clear how this person is involved in the shooting.
About the motive of the shooter, do different theories of the round, the police close provisionally any piste. Mayor Jan van Zanen was a terrorist act, and there are witnesses who say the shooter ‘Allahu akhbar’ has been called. But there are also rumours about the motives of the relational atmosphere is the round, because the shooter, according to witnesses, especially a woman, in particular, would have endorsed.
The father of Tanis in the Turkish media reacted to the news. Against the news agency Demirören he says that his son from his first marriage, with whom he has been since 2008 no more contact, ‘need to compromise if he is the culprit”, says the Algemeen Dagblad.