Idai left a trail of destruction after
The number of deaths after the passage of cyclone Idai in Mozambique, can amount to more than a thousand. That has the Mozambican president Filipe Nyusi on Monday, declared on Radio Moçambique.
After a visit to the affected region, the president declared that so far 84 deaths are confirmed, but that he by the stories of rescue workers and by the damage that he from the air has seen, is concerned that the number of deaths is much higher.
“More than a hundred thousand people are in danger”, said Nyusi.
Cyclone Idai reached Thursday night, the central part of Mozambique, and put then his road to Zimbabwe. When he landed had the cyclone, a force of four to five, and there were gusts of wind up to 160 kilometers per hour.
According to the International Red Cross is in the city of Beira, the second largest city in Mozambique, ninety percent of the buildings destroyed. “There is no communication and the roads are damaged. Communities are inaccessible. One tells us that the situation outside the city is even worse can be’, it sounds.
In Zimbabwe, where all 89 people were killed, is the province of Manicaland being the hardest hit. By the heavy floods in the whole of the country state of emergency is declared. “The road network is destroyed. The army tries all possible ways to provide food, blankets and medicines to the affected regions”, says the local authorities.
The world food programme has already let you know for 600,000 people in the region with food aid.